SA395 Elizabeth Ann Eastep
SA395 Elizabeth Ann EASTEP was born 8 Jan 1859 in Smith Co., TX, probably in Starrville, to [SA39] Abraham EASTEP and Ann(e) WALLACE / WALLIS.(1) Her mother died when she was 12 days old and she was sent to live with her aunt Sarah "Sallie" (WALLACE) McMURRY until her father remarried in Oct 1859 and brought her back home.(2)
After a short stay in Boggy, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory, her father and step-mother died in 1872 leaving Elizabeth and her brother George to take care of the young half-siblings. They returned to Smith Co. Elizabeth went to live with her married sister, Martha Caroline OSBORN, in Smith Co. where she stayed until her marriage.(3) She married Philip Jackson PRYOR on 16 Jun 1878 in Smith Co.(4)
Philip Jackson PRYOR was born 5 Nov 1854 in Smith Co. to Lemuel M. and Elizabeth C. (HARDEGREE) PRYOR and died 9 Feb 1936 in Elk City, Beckham Co., OK.(2) (5) (6)
The family was on the 1880 Smith Co., TX census.(7) They soon moved to Van Zandt Co., TX area near the border of Henderson Co. where Elizabeth Ann died at age 28 on 17 Jan 1887.(2) Her burial location is not known. She could be buried at Edom Cemetery or on their property, which is said to be now under a lake. Click here to see the only known existing photo of Elizabeth Ann (Eastep) Pryor.
Children of P. J. and Elizabeth Ann: (2) (5)
SA3951 Martha Clementine PRYOR born and died May 1879 TX.
SA3952 (infant daughter) PRYOR born c1880 TX and died in infancy.
SA3953 Lemuel Montgomery PRYOR born 30 Oct 1881 TX; died 19 May 1903
(Henderson Co.?) TX; not married.
SA3954 John Henry PRYOR born 6 Aug 1883 near Edom, Van Zandt Co., TX; died
17 Nov 1967 Madill, Marshall Co., OK; married Rosa Mattie SMITH 21 Jul 1907 Cordell, Washita Co., OK.
SA3955 George Silas PRYOR born 8 Sep 1886 TX; died 18 Apr 1887 TX.
(1) Abraham Estep Family Bible in possession of June Graddy of Stroud, OK. Photocopy of Bible pages in my possession.
(2) Biography of Elizabeth Ann (Eastep) Pryor written by her husband P. J. Pryor and dated 23 Mar 1926. Original copy in possession of John A. Pryor of Oklahoma City, OK (now deceased). Photocopy of pages in my possession.
(3) Interview with F. M. Wilson (Questionnaire), Vol. 73, pp. 437-438 of the Indian-Pioneer History Collection at OK Historical Society, Oklahoma City, OK.
(4) Smith Co., TX Marriage Book H, p. 373.
(5) Personal family history research by Nova A. Lemons, granddaughter of John Henry Pryor, and information obtained from Cecil Pryor, John A. Pryor, Malacha Lemons and Lois Sebourn, children of John Henry Pryor.
(6) Death Certificate of P. J. Pryor (name incorrectly given as John) and obituary of Phillip Jackson Pryor from The Elk City Daily News, 11 Feb 1936, p. 1.
(7) Census records: 1880 Smith Co., TX, Pct. 8, #514-579.
Also see references in SA39 Abraham Eastep's section for sources relating to Elizabeth Ann's early life in Smith Co., TX.